I don't usually do any baking for Christmas because Mom bakes more than enough
I whipped up some Cranberry Buttermilk Scones, which are pretty easy, very tasty, and freeze well (which was important because I had to freeze mine until the big night), though obviously they're better fresh from the oven! I got the recipe from Erin years ago and make them every now and then. Each time I do, I curse myself for not making them more often.
Cranberry Buttermilk Scones (makes 12+ depending on how big or small you cut them)
3 c. all-purpose flour
1/3 c. plus 2 tbsp sugar, divided
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 c. cold butter or margarine
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. dried cranberries
1 tsp grated orange peel
1 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, combine flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut in butter. Stir in buttermilk until just combined. Fold in cranberries and zest. Turn onto a floured surface, then divide the dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball and pat down into a 6" circle. Cut each circle into 6 (or more) wedges. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with milk. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar, sprinkle liberally over scones. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Notes: I typically make the mistake of pulling out my electric mixer for this when really, you could do everything with a wooden spoon and your two hands. Or use your dough attachment for your mixer...I have one, I just never think to try it when I make these. Also, I usually just zest the whole orange and use all the zest. I like 'em zesty! But you can adjust to your taste. I also usually have a lot of cinnamon and sugar left so I sprinkle a little more on top while still warm. I also think this would be yummy with blueberries and lemon zest (though I haven't tried it).
To go with the scones, I made some Cinnamon Honey Butter. I saw the recipe here (her pictures are waaaaay better than mine) and loved the idea, so I got some baby food jars, some material, and tied them with jute. In this picture, there is obviously no butter...and I didn't have the jute yet. But you get the idea.
Cinnamon Honey Butter
2 sticks of butter at room temp
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. honey
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Make sure the butter is room temperature and soft. Use the whisk attachment on the mixer and whip the butter. Add the powdered sugar, honey, and cinnamon. Whip it together, then scrape the sides of the bowl and whisk. Whip again. Repeat if needed, making sure everything is combined well.
Notes: I'm not sure how long this will keep. It's easier to spread at room temperature, but if you don't eat it up immediately, then store in the fridge. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it goes well on rolls, pancakes, waffles, muffins, you name it!
There you have it! An old favorite and new favorite! Let me know if you try these recipes out... Enjoy!



2 comments:
These were YUMMY! And the butter was fabulous! How appropriate that my son keeps asking for scones ever since he read a book with them in! Now he'll be asking even more:-) Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Wow these sound yummy - especially the butter!
Post a Comment