Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Instant Decor!

DIY Day @ ASPTL


Hey'all! I wanted to show you a quick and easy project I did recently to add a little decoration to my home. As a new homeowner on a budget, anything quick, easy and cheap is great, but free is awesome! Plus, it's "green" too! And for the first time, I'm linking up with DIY Day over at Kimba's site, so be sure to check things out over there! (I'm a little nervous!)

Earlier this summer, my clever brother told me not to cut down my lily stems once the lilies were all done blooming, so I didn't, trusting in his infinite wisdom and decorating ability. With all the commotion going on this summer, I basically forgot about what he said, until my yard started looking like this:


Once the lily stems were dry and woody-looking, I "harvested" them- some of them pulled out easily and others I had to cut, but it only took a few minutes. I tried to cut them all so they were pretty long, since I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do. My brother mentioned spray painting, but I like the natural look...at least for now. I grabbed a couple of vases I had on hand, cut them to fit, and voila!


You probably can't tell because of the angle of the picture, but the green vase is somewhat tall, so I left the stems pretty long. The clear vase is much shorter (and on a very tall shelf), so those were cut shorter.

Just think, you could pay a chunk of change for something like this from Pier 1 or Pottery Barn. Or you could just cut down those stems in your backyard. You choose.

If you've stopped by from Kimba's DIY Day, thanks for checking out my lil' project!

15 comments:

Jane said...

I love sticks! Looks good.

Anonymous said...

great idea! LOVE your wall color where the clear vase is too btw.
pk @ room remix

stefanie said...

wow, looks great, and free

Tiffany said...

Great idea, I love the natural look of wispy sticks!

Katie said...

Fantastic idea! I always have a million of these things left (sheer laziness on my part).

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

OH, I love this idea! That would work great in one area of my house. I need to find someone who has some sticks like this. THANKS!!!

Unknown said...

very cool idea!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

Great frugal idea! I wish we had reeds in the backyard...

Thanks for sharing at DIY Day :)

Tales of Our Journey said...

That's a great idea!!! Who would have ever thunk?

Anonymous said...

They turned out fabulous! Wish I had something like that in my yard.

Lindsay Phenes said...

I love it! I have a funny story about 'sticks'...my sister and I visited the thrift store one day. She found a bundle of twigs that she liked but it didn't have a price on it. She took it to the register and asked the cashier - the cashier called a supervisor over and asked "How much do we charge for um.....(big pause) sticks?" and had this incredulous look on his face. It's a good thing we're comfortable with our frugality, or it would have been embarrassing lol.

Carly said...

Oh, I really like this...I am trying to not go out in the dark to gather sticks off our lilies right now - Seriously! Love this!

Kimba said...

Love it! I have a rather large collection of sticks myself. Some purchased (how embarrassing) and some collected.

Good job with yours! Welcome to DIY Day. I'm glad you could link up!

Kimba

Kim said...

That is very fun! It feels so good to do something like that! Good for you-you go girl! Was it refreshing?

The Book Addict said...

I will say it was very fun to join in with DIY Day! I loved getting all the comments and checking out other blogs...I plan to do it again. And the project was kinda refreshing and fun too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Revised Influential Books List

1. And the Band Played On- Randy Shilts
2. Listening to Prozac- Peter D. Kramer
3. Thinking in Pictures: My Life with Autism- Temple Grandin
4. Nickel and Dimed-Barbara Ehrenreich Eh, it was OK. Reminded me a little of Dirty Jobs.
5. Into Thin Air- Jon Krakauer
6. The Satanic Verses- Salman Rushdie
7. Middlesex- Jeffery Eugenides Read it. Loved it. Recommend it.
8. A Perfect Spy- John le Carre
9. What is the What- Dave Eggers LOVE this book! Very inspiring!
10. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle- Haruki Murakami Done.
11. The Known World- Edward P. Jones
12. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- J.K. Rowling Read it twice!!
13. The Bonfire of the Vanities- Tom Wolfe Hmm, the jury is still out on this one (pun intended).
14. Infinite Jest- David Foster Wallace
15. The Unbearable Lightness of Being- Milan Kundera
16. Beloved- Toni Morrison - Abandoned.
17. The Handmaid's Tale- Margaret Atwood
18. Freakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner A really interesting & thought-provoking read!